How I came to JU-Part 2  

Posted by: Shreyasi Ghosh in ,

School starts. The First Day

First day at school. We were asked to sit at the auditorium.I was feeling glum.Because

1>Choi wasn't there.

2>Ching was in another section.

3>Many of my friends from morning had taken up commerce and were staying back in the morning session.

4>Others I knew had taken up Bio and would be in separate sections(unless we were all in Section E)

5>Afternoon school meant I'd be missing my afternoon siesta and I wasn't used to that,being a morning school-goer throughout my life.

6>Lastly and most importantly,I hardly knew anyone in afternoon except for Aritra Gupta and Aashish and to some extent,Chitrak.I knew Trina very well,but she had also taken up commerce.

I remember sitting beside Shreyasi Das on the first day and craning my neck to see people whom I knew.But there were rows and rows of people from afternoon.Now you'd call me stuck-up.But seriously,after spending 12 years of one's life with certain peole,if one fine morning(..err..afternoon)one finds oneself in complete alien territory,one's bound to feel out of place.And besides,everyone seemed to know each other while I knew none!And no one talked to me.Sniff.I saw Aashish and Aritra both of whom said hi but were soon engulfed amidst a group of friendsAnd man! what a HUGE group!I was missing our Section C,Section H group like crazy.And then,for the second time in my life,I was feeling really intimidated(first time was when I sang in front of Pt. Ajay Chakraborty)

I saw Ritadev somewhere in the distance and waved happily.Ah!at last someone I knew.He waved back and mouthed..Stats niyechhi..tui? . Amio..said your trulys and felt relieved.

Then Soloman Aunty came and addressed us and stated certain rules,knowing fully people would be flouting them in no time,thereby keeping up the trend.heh.The newcomers introduced themselves.There were Ushashi,Shubhro,Sankhadeep and others.I knew Shubhro because by that time,our Stats tutions had started and I had met him there.

Then we were sorted in different sections.I went to Section G.So did Payel,Rabindrika,Ritadev,Bishan,Soumya Shanta,Rajarshi Shome,Aritra Bakshi,Indranil,Arja,Aveek,Sambuddha(friends from morning).

I remeber sitting beside Payel and Rabindrika and taking down the routine and trying to stiffle a yawn.Man! Afternoon session was going to be tough.

First day in class

I was late.Yes.Thus began the saga of Shreyasi-coming-late-to-class.Subhankar sir lifted his face from the attendance register and asked...etto late keno??" "sir jam chhilo khub.." I said while scanning the seats and alternately thinking..kar paashe boshi..?? Then I sat down beside Oishi and Malobika. Malobika later very hesitantly said...do you mind? eta neelakshir jayga chhilo...Drat it! ....acchha thik acche.ami kal uthe jabo..aj boshi ?? She smiled and said...nana ...tui bosh... And I liked this girl.She was being honest.

Now,it became a major problem.I had to find someone to sit beside.Sambuddha,Rito,Shome,Biki had all their seats occupied.Then,luckily,I found out that Alaka went to the same Physics tution as me.So,I timidly asked her...can I sit with you and Amrita? :D She said yes(Later I learnt that she didn't like me then at all.But,honestly,I didn't like her too!)

Tutions

So,matters sorted,the classes started.So did the tutions.And I discovered that the position of abhorrence which Life Science had occupied till class 10 Boards was slowly being captured by Chemistry.I didn't like it at all.

The Chemistry tutions were interesting.Rather amusing.NC's wry sense of humor never got down well with most of the people.He had a way of getiing back at people by referring to their families,parents,lineage etc.His famous lines were....bangalir blood e corruption achhe.... I think I got the second highest marks in his first test(Ritwik Giri got the highest,by a margin of 2 marks!) and from that point, the scoldings and highlighting the mistakes in front of everyone increased.And to make the matters worse,he started comparing Madhura Mukherjee with me.Madhura had screwed up her first test somehow.Now I was completely sure that she's far better at Chemistry at me(Heh.I wasn't even ashamed) and she'd pull through.But I hated(and still do) this comparison thing.It makes matters rather uncomfortable and of course there were people who added fuel to fire(you know what I mean)

Maths tutions were by far the most peaceful of all and I loved it.Shreyasi Raychoudhuri was there.So was Sambudhha.Kalyan Sir was his peaceful self as usual as we proceeded through surds,quadratic equations,coordiante geometry.

The most hilarious and enjoyable tution was that of Statistics.There were around 60/65 of us.Majority of them were from South Point,others from Patha Bhavan,Nava Nalanda,Carmel,Jadavpur Vidyapith etc.The first day,I sat on the last bench between Soumita and Advaita and eating peanuts throughout the class and chatting with Soumita and Indra,because there was a general ruckus and I couldn't here or see a word.Giri Sir suddenly loomed right in front of us and asked ..ai tomra shob thikthak bujhechho toh?? I coughed and spluttered with my mouth full of nuts,Advaita who was listening to music on his cell,ducked behind his copy and Soumita tried to hide her copy where she had scribbled only 5/6 words throughout an entire class of 45 minutes! Indra,Sourav and Aritra tried to maintain composure but Indra was already laughing so much that they gave up. Giri Sir sighed and said..bujhbe na bujhbe na...hashchho hasho..haashte toh tax lagena..but bujhbe bujhbe... leaving us behind in various degrees of silence.

But Statistics tutions were immense fun.I made friends with Shubhro,Bando,Antoreep.I already knew Donald(Abhishek Banerjee) who lived in the same para, Oishi,Malovika,Neelakshi .There was Parongoma,who everyone had a crush on.Sayantani Lala, who had a huge crush on some television character and gushed incessantly about him,so much so that in the end I wanted to hit her!

KCD tution was a 30 seconds walkaway from my place,right opposite to my mamabari. The classes started at 6 ,a time I considered myself lucky to be awake.I rushed to the class,wildly combin my hair,nearly knocking an equally bleary-eyed milkman or paperwallah while my dida shouted from the balcony..ai aj o chul badhishni thik kore???? I went and flopped down on the red plastic chairs,clutching a throbbing head.Afternoon school was taking a serious toll on my health.I wasn't at all used to staying awake in the afternoon.That automatically meant,I'd have to stay awake late at night to study.And that'd vouch for my waking up late right?But then,owing to a lifetime of habit,I found myself waking up at 6 and staring at the ceiling,trying to remeber my father's name. (kharap bhasha) .I met Iku (Navoneel), Sourav Sengupta,Shubhro in this class.

The most insipid of all tutions was Physics tution.Deepak Bhowmik droned on and on about Laws of Motion,torque and inertia,while his minions were blissfully ignorant of what was going on in the blackboard.Alaka and I were gradually becoming good friends.Somehow,I always knew Amrita.And I was getting to know other people like Aparajita,Oindrilla.

My mother was already friends with Achena Aunty(Prithviraj Gupta's mother)and got to know that Prithviraj,Aritra,Saptarshi all went to someone called Dibyendu Sengupta for extra Physics tutions as all that Supriyo Ghosh was teaching them went over their head.And late in June/July,I found myself making my way for Dibyenduda's house for classes.

It is hear,that I completely fell in love with Physics.

This entry was posted on 9:21 AM and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 high fives

aree boss....how do u write so freaking beautifully????
thanks for writing this...

Post a Comment