Kolkatar Rannaghor  

Posted by: Shreyasi Ghosh in ,

First day at the Electrical lab and Mainak,one of our group partners tried to kill the remaining 6 of us by shorting the two terminals of a 110 volt dc using a single wire!! Honestly dude,what were you thinking when you actually did that?There was a brilliant flash of current,with some blinding dazzling chromatic display and within a few second,the wires,half the wooden panels were horribly charred with a sick,lung-choking smell emanating from it.The rest of the class our group teacher kept on reminding us that we'd have almost killed him(he was also standing close to the site)as well as ourselves and would have had to cough up a few thousand rupees had any instrument been seriously damaged.

I've finally managed to bring out a survey on the fast food joints in the city.I wouldn't like to compare and state that 'the best so-and-so are available there'.The superlatives are relative.Depends on the food,as well as the ambience,company etcetera etcetera.But here's what I feel:

Roll - 1>Campari(somewhere near Basanti Devi College.I can take you there but hell man! I can't give you the directions.they cook 97% oilfree roll.). 2>Hot Kati Roll( Good ol' Park Street.just opposite the metro station). 3>Arsalan(Chicken..nono..chikkan roll ). Zeeshan roll sucks because of too much oil.4>Bawarchi(Jadavpur 8b stand).the egg roll at Milanda's canteen should be rechristened as 'onion roll'.There's not a single speck of egg visible or tasted,but it's full of onions!and ladled generously with tomato sauce.

idli. It tastes very good>

Chowmein/chilli chicken -No one can beat the rows of 'Chingming Chow' and the likes ,which line the stretch of road from Maidan to Park Street.The whole air near that place reeks of the smell of chicken/fried rice/chowmein.It makes me grow weak in the knees,despite all those staunch resolutions to watch my waistline.Also check out Decker's Lane.It's somewhere between Chandni Chowk and Esplanade.I can take you there,but I can't give directions even with a gun pointed at my head.Btw,Decker's Lane is pretty tacky.Not happy-tacky.just tacky-tacky(if you know what I mean).I never went there personally.just had the food.

And also,there's this small roadside shop at Dharmatolla bus-stand which sells chunks of chilli chicken the size of idlis.tastes good.


Chat/Bhelpuri/Jhalmuri/Alukabli.... -Now,this is going to be difficult.Where do I begin?I like the taste of bhelpuri sold in front of Dakshinapan.But the tamarind juice is way too sweet.The bhelpuri at Deshapriya Park during the puja is also commendable.But the best bhel and alukabli I've tasted so far is I think from some little shack at Dalhousie...let me figure out the direction. If you're walking from Chandi Chowk to Esplanade you'll come across this stretch of road which is again lined with these small shops.You take a left turn at the end of this particular road and reach the road where United Towers and Great Eastern Hotel are located.Understood?

Hmm,I digress. The bhelpuri at this particular shop has the right blend of everything.Have it once.The next time I go there,I'll take a photo of the entire place so that you can figure out the way itself.

Fuchka?? I can't say.Right now,it's the ones sold near Hindustan Park.But our home-grown(parochial me!) Golf Green fuchkas rock too!

I'm not too fond of chats . I think the ones at Dakshinapan are okay.

Kebab -My favorite kebab corner till date is Arsalan.The cheese kebab out there is something I can kill for.And throw caution to the wind as well as my diet chart.

Momo- I can't eat momo.I'm incapable of digesting it.This is not to say that I hate it.Hell no.I just can't manage to keep it within me after like..what??....5 minutes of eating it.I puke the whole thing out. Can you believe this?? The last real good momos I had were from a small roadside shop right opposite of Rabindra Sadan Metro Station,on the diagonally opposite footpath of Haldiram's.And I stood and vomitted in front of Gokhale College for about 5 minutes.gross.My friends pretended that they didn't know me and everyone stared.


Telebhaja/alur chop/muri -Experiences are not diverse at all in this quarter.I love the ones sold at out 8b bus stand.

Badambhaja -Baruipur local.period.

Kochuri/alur dam .- Tasty Corner.near South Point High School.Kamdhenu(8b stand)

Coffee/tea Have money,will spend it on Mochaccino at Barista any day.or capuccino at CCD.no money,cut to dear old Staff Canteen and Milanda.

I love the lebu cha (lemon tea) sold near Alliance Francais..umm...somewhere near Park Circus or AJC Bose Road...(maane jekhane LMG).Otherwise,I hate tea.

What else is left??(..etto khai ami??..) can lebu-logenze fall in the category of fast food? Guess not.Anyway,a useful piece of information.A bald man sells it in the buses plying between Ballygunge Phari and Dhakuria.It's the best.It had saved my life once,when I was stuck in a traffic jam for like 3.5 hours during the period of mass khorakhori by the KMC(read:grave digging).

Buss,that's all for now.Opinions,discussions,debates are welcome provided the suggestions are good enough for me to go all the way to these places and actually sample the food.And I hate tacky places.The really tacky ones.

ps: due apology to all the random roll/fuchka/kebab/momo/bhel corners I've been to and enjoyed immensely,but 1>have forgotten about them or 2>couldn't write due to lack of time.Good food is next to God.


This entry was posted on 5:06 AM and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 high fives

Post a Comment