Posted by: Shreyasi Ghosh

Wikipedia reminds me of my old Organic Chemistry book by I.L Finar. Every time you read a passage and try to grasp its meaning,it'd come up with suggestions like 'turn to page 223' or 'consult ozonolysis mechanism' etc. And the same pattern is followed elsewhere in the book.So basically you start studying something and end up in the midst of something quite different.Same thing happened to me a few minutes back.I started studying about Bayesian Probability Theorem and ended up in a page about Nazi secret societies.occultism,their infamous Die Glocke etc.
Black Order is a fantastic book,1000 times better than Sandstorm,which although presents accurate facts on Arabian history and the physics behind antimatter,has a very bizarre,supernaturalish(sic) climax which I'm sure won't go down well with most readers.(at least not with me).The kind of stories with apocalyptic climax which were a rage in our pre-teens and teens but surely not now.And I still didn't buy the whole deal about asexual reproduction in humans although the author tried to sound very convincing.I mean,the Rahims(Arabian tribe,descendants of the Queen of Sheba,the Queen of the lost city of Ubar),if they were truly capable of performing asexual reproduction,the environmental changes would ave wiped them out owing to natural selection and lack of variation.And Arabia is quite infamous for its ever-changing climatic patterns.But Black Order is different-merging facts with a gripping,fastpaced storyline.Although the author seems to have a fetish for a little too much of bullets(almost every chapter ends with an anonymous killer spraying a shot of bullets on unsuspecting people),it's a great read.But th ebest part about it is that I have fallen in love with biology-the genome studies,protein sequence,evolution theory,biophysics et all.4 years ago if I had read this book,I'd have surely taken up bio in class 11-12 and not flunked it.
Dear Mr James Rollins(if you ever read this,though the likelihood is few...my knowledge of probability amounts to this only),Thank you for Black Order.And for helping me overcome my fear and dislike of Biology.

This entry was posted on 6:34 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 high fives

Post a Comment