Laments of a failed poet  

Posted by: Shreyasi Ghosh


Haha!! This is the joke of the millennium. I’ve been asked by a friend to write poetry!!! I patiently tried to explain to her that I’m NOT at all a poetic soul. I enjoy reading them and often occasionally comment on them (provided that doesn’t sound too smart-ass)..but I can’t compose them. Ask some of my closest friends to testify that.

Well, there was a time though, when I had scribbled pages and pages of poem, mostly in Bengali and a few in English. That was probably when I was in class four or five. I was severely bitten by the poetry bug. You can call it a phase which will never come back. After that, nothing sensible came out of my mind in poetic verses.I'm an incurable romantic( though others will tell you the opposite..not that I blame them), but I can't write poetry.


Sometime back, I did try my hand at writing one. And I came out with a four page long ramblings. The inspiration was incessant rain,coupled by a momentary lapse of the brain's functionality(..I got stuck with a co-ordinate geometry problem and was really frustrated). I made two of my closest friends read it. They stared at me, appalled. I still have no idea why. Maybe it was so uncharacteristic of me to write a love-poem!! Or maybe it was bad…real freaking bad. And they're sought-after poets, in their own rights.

I will post it soon. It’s in a diary which a friend has taken with him to his hostel once I get it back, I will make you all read it and wonder just how much trash can someone write and even have the audacity to even call it poetry!!

But then, I wrote…and therein lies my satisfaction, however unjustified. :-))

This entry was posted on 9:33 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

8 high fives

kobi kobi bhab
chonder obhab....

Etto baje bokteo paris! Tor kobita ontoto orkut e ja dekhechi, jotheshto bhalo. Ei kobita ta dekhar jonno odhir agrohe opekkha kore roilum...

Aar by the way, ei "romantic revival" r aar kono karon achhe ki?? [:P]

Shibamouli da

Aar ekta kotha. Kobitar byapare amar tips chirokaal mone rakhis: Mone kobita thakle seta kolome aste maximum 1 minute lage...[:P]

Shibamouli da

Hah.i remember,hun!but,you were a jolly good poet.indeed.liarer,don't be so modest.=P

'lays my satisfaction...'

eta ki thik holo? 'lies' hobe kina?

maybe i am wrong. you are very strong in english.

@ Partha:

I donno, but I think it could also be "lay", mistakenly keyed in as "lays". But, well, yes, it is also totally correct to write it as "lies". But "lays" really fails to make sense. Anyway, I think it's either an inadvertent error or a fully-conscious overlook, as I myself sometimes take pleasure in doing. This is a way of teasing your readers, and getting them on tiptoe, and always having them bustling behind lexicons!

He he he...[:D]

@parthada-correct kore diechhi! thanku for pointing it out :-))

Post a Comment