A year back and now  

Posted by: Shreyasi Ghosh in


A year back..8th September.Our departmental freshers.Outside Indoor.
Clockwise from left:Alaka,me,Abhi,Gaurav,Crunchy,Sagar,Abhijeet,Bishan,Bando,Arko.And you can see Anirban's nose tip behind Crunchy's head.
College starts today.
We are no longer the "ickle firsties" but 2nd year er dada-didigulo, waiting impatiently for the 1st years to come,so that we can just pounce upon them. (N.B: If any person from the JU anti-ragging committee comes across this post, you know what I mean by pouncing,don't you? It's merely interaction! Nothing else! At least not for me. And btw, what about you?)
I'll miss being a 'first-year'.That too-familiar call...Ei je !st year..We came to JU, naive, wide-eyed, at its vast expanse, the sprawling campus, the jheelpar and staff canteen and all, in perennial awe of the union room(at least for me, for about eight months after college began!And the first time I went inside,I had cold feet,expecting to get ragged anytime.But then,someone was listening to All Apologies in his laptop,there was an Iron Maiden poster stuck to the steel almirah,loads of interesting quotations scribbled randomly on the wall and none of them gave me the vibe that I'm in potential danger of getting ragged!).We warmed up to the seniors. Had major issues, differences, fallouts. Gave two semester exams. Had U-Turn and Sanskriti.
I made new friends,loads of them.Missed school like crazy.Had some of the best seniors,both (from my department and outside it) one can ask for and I'm very happy that I came here and found them.Now,remembering the immense nervousness I initially had regarding seniors,I feel like laughing my heart out.They are the nicest and most easy-going and helpful dada-didis one can have in college.
Me. I gradually fell in love with JU.
And after a year of erratic ups-and-downs, I welcome all the 1st years to JU. Refrained from using any adjective. It depends mostly upon you!
P.S: Remembering a few pearls of wisecrack 'wisdom'.
1. A guy,eyeing a pretty girl near Milanda's canteen,turns and asks his freinds...Oi IR er meyeta kon department er re?
2. Kiii baje sitter!!!
3. Bolbo??
4. Ei je 1st year, ja duto Silk Cut niye aye.
5. Zoghonnyo!
6.Oi CR, class ta kata na please!
7. Bawal dewa hobe.
8. Jolchhe...(censored) :-)
9. 29 khelbi?
10. Choh..staff e jai.
...and many many more.

This entry was posted on 9:32 PM and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

8 high fives

not only u everyone is waitin for freshers.and why not,who dont want to be dada-didis????????everyone want to have someonew who will obey his\her commands.but we will miss first year.

Well......First year der tora ki rokom ragging korbi shuni??? [;)]

Again, again a typo!

"wiecrack" will be "wisecrack"...

Sorry for ruining the zest everytime, but sis, it pays not to err yet again!

Lekha fatafati hochchhe, kichchhu bolar nei. Durdanto bhasha, bhab aar expression. Tui borong CSE chhere de, bhalo writer hote parbi! (only kiddin...[:P])

Thanx for the compli about seniors! I take pride (seriously) for being one of them and for having a nice sis like you, one of those old little "ickle firsties"! Really, Peeves rockzzz! To me at least, he's the best character of the whole Potter series...

Tobe ekta kotha. Plz dont mind. Ami nije ragging personally prefer kori naa, kokhono korio ni. It creates immense pressure on the minds of ickle firsties (at least, I myself felt so), which I am always reluctant at showering upon juniors. Anyway, this is completely MY viewpoint. I dont think anyone will agree, but if you had suffered similar pressure on your mind, probably you'll not want to make others suffer from the same.

To me, pure and natural interaction and introduction sans any mental pressure (just as it was in Potter series) should be a substitute for ragging. I think after reading this, you'll rather engage yourself in quelling your juniors' fears than inciting them. This is NOT a request, this is an ORDER. From your senior.

Sorry for being rude. I couldn't help myself.

@cooldjsen=yeah! i am indeed looking forward to being a senior.but then,miss the last year too.

@de real of a dreamy spirit=Ami ragging korbo na.I will be a good senior.ami shudhu riddle solve korte debo.ar pj dhorbo! :-)

@smallyda=I should be crowned the "Queen of Typo"! Thank you.You've always been a great and a very favorte senior of mine.and I wasn't subjected to any crappy ragging thingy.But prochur prochur onko ar dhadha solve korte diyechhilo!amio tai korbo. :-).

oh honey how do u?? jst how do u write soooooo well!!!! bt u knw sumthin...frm Ma hv heard tht JU is a place to fall in love with..so hopefully tor baki bochor okhane bhaloi katbe....!!!

ahem ahem!!!!!!!
something s missing in what you did in your first year!!!!!!!!

nice read!!!!!!!!
SERIOUS NOTE: JU was a place i DID NOT like in my "firsties" days....but then fell in love with it......and with the people revolving around JU

the lyadh...the staff canteen... the union room... and the math.....

@ green : i dnt know abt the math!!!

@shreyashi: nice post.

Post a Comment